Friday 15 March 2013

Out to the Parents

I had to share this.


I am so glad I have this alter ego where I can share such stuff. A place where it is safe to talk about being gay and rejoicing and sharing things like this cute letter. 

I am out to my parents and two of my friends. My parents are okay with it (some day I will write another post on my coming out to my parents and all that drama). Out of the two friends, I lost one, the other was very supportive. Reaction of my friend (the one who had problems with this), made me very cautious about coming out to my friends. That and also my mom's request of not making this fact know among her social circle since it will literally mean her boycott from her circles (I a talking about a small town in India), I really can not put things like this on my Facebook profile, can I? 

Anyhoo, I am glad that I have a place to share things I can not talk about anywhere else. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your parents are ok with you coming out...it must have been difficult for you...glad you were able to do it! :) Amazed that you lost a friend...I don't get that mentality at all. But I don't blame you for being cautious coming out now. I still remember a friend I had in India since I was about 9...well, I didn't realise her regressive views until a few years ago. Our friendship ended when she judged me for my previous relationship only because I said I wasn't sure if it would end in marriage but I was still going to go ahead and date the guy! She thought I was a slut. Go figure.

Tuhina Mahan said...

Thanks PB! It was quite a drama. My mom had the wigglies but it ended well.

Funny you should mention it. The friend I lost, I knew her since I was 6. She thinks that if I sleep with a guy, my homosexuality will be cured. She is a PhD in Chemistry. As they say, degrees have nothing to do with education these days.

Unknown said...

Coming out must have taken so much courage! I'm glad it turned out well with your parents.

Yes, I've had friends with pretty regressive views too - one stopped talking to me because I accepted a minor modelling gig. According to her, all models are immoral, and get "used" by photographers and other people. This coming from someone who ardently follows celebrity gossip! Also, she's a doctor.

Tuhina Mahan said...

Thanks Vivenne. It was quite intense to come out to my parents. I was prepared for the worst but thankfully it didn't happen.

As for friends, it hurts to have people close to you behave in such a way but still they are replaceable, unlike family. So I have stopped caring for them much anyway. If they want to be regressive and closed minded, its their problem not mine. I would rather make friends with people who have more common sense in them. Just my opinion...

Post a Comment